Pages

Monday 6 August 2018

Review: Record of a Spaceborn Few

Record of a Spaceborn Few Record of a Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved the first two books in the Wayfarers series - they were wonderful feel-goods reads that gave a glimpse of what life could be like if we just accepted each other's differences. This one is also "feel good" but I think it has more depth to it. I found myself relating to the characters a lot more than I did in the previous novels; that's probably because they're mainly humans to be fair with typical human concerns - such as Tessa who is wondering where her life went or Kip who is wondering where his life will begin.

Chambers makes obvious parallels between the Exodus Fleet society and our own - for example, the plight of immigrants and concerns about AI taking over people's jobs - but it's not so obvious that you'll feel she's hammering the points home.

Even if this proves to be the last in the series, I will definitely read more of Chambers' work. I look forward to seeing what she comes up with next.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment