Pages

Sunday 12 August 2018

Review: Five Children on the Western Front

Five Children on the Western Front Five Children on the Western Front by Kate Saunders
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I randomly came across this when I was helping out at a mobile library for homeless people - it was among the books being given away for free and, as no one else appeared to want it, I decided to pick it up.

I don't think it's absolutely necessary to have read Five Children and It (or its two sequels) to understand this book, but it probably helps as there are several allusions to events that occurred in that story.

Ultimately, this is a story about how the First World War affected everyone - regardless of how rich or poor they were - and how everyone came to realise that it wasn't the jolly adventure they initially thought it was as the fighting dragged on.

There is a subplot about the Psammead finding redemption for past misdeads that occasionally feels a bit contrived but does have moments of real poignancy.

Given the book has some serious themes, it is definitely best reserved for older children/teenagers. I think nostalgic adults (such as myself) have a lot of gain from it as well.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment