Pages

Friday 4 October 2019

Review: The Wall

The Wall The Wall by John Lanchester
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The idea of the UK putting a Wall to keep "Others" out is, given Brexit, is an relevant and important one to explore. However, I was never really convinced that Kavanagh was in any real danger. The prolem with having him as the narrator is that you know that he's going to survive any situation because he's the one telling you about it!

Plus, as the book went on, I didn't think he had that much depth - he muttered about blaming his parents for the "change" happening on their watch (mainly because they acted guilty), but his relationship with them was never really explored. Would have been more interesting for Lanchester to address whether the parents (or their generation and, by extension, our generation) really were guilty etc.

I think my issue is that I'm just a bit bored wth male narrators - particularly white (I think), middle-class ones. They can come across as somewhat bland after a while.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment