Pages

Saturday 6 July 2019

Review: Frankissstein: A Love Story

Frankissstein: A Love Story Frankissstein: A Love Story by Jeanette Winterson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What I love about Winterson is that her writing is it's experimental. And, it's experimental in a good way - not the "experimental" for the sake of being experimental or for being different, but she genuinely wants to investigate an idea. I feel like she wrote this retelling of Frankeinstein because she wanted to further explore what it means to be human and how AI might change that. She doesn't come up with any answers; just possible scenarios.

Ry was an well-rounded character but, like the original Shelley, their job is serve as an observer. So, they're not quite as "unique" as some of the characters. My favoutite was "Ron Lord", which I'm guessing is a play on "Bryon". Reimainging one of England's greatest poets as a somewhat pathetic middle-aged misogynist was a nice comedic touch.

Frankissstein got me thinking so much that I've been inspired to re-read the original. It's been at least 20 years, so it's probably about time!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment