Pages

Monday 6 May 2019

Review: Quaker Quicks - What Do Quakers Believe?: Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Quakerism

Quaker Quicks - What Do Quakers Believe?: Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Quakerism Quaker Quicks - What Do Quakers Believe?: Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Quakerism by Geoffrey Durham
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A good overview of what Quakers believe and try to put into practice. This is not the book for someone wanting to gain an understanding of how Quaker came to be or how have they developed over time (Durham himself says his book is aimed at the "casual observer" rather than those wanting to do an academic study of the Quakers), but it's a handy guide for those contemplating Quakerism.

As a practising Quaker, I found it useful. I often feel I am not a very good Quaker - I don't feel a strong connection to the divine at times and I don't work in a particularly Quaker job. However, Durham (and the other Quakers quoted) has reminded me that Quakers come in all shapes and forms and their sense of the divine can differ greatly. What connects them, and this is something I try to adhere to, is the desire live their faith through action. Being a Quaker is not so much about what you believe but how you behave.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment