Pages

Friday 15 June 2018

Review: Home Fire

Home Fire Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A modern day retelling of Antigone (a Greek play which, before I read this, I'd never head of to be honest) that provides a powerful insight into how Muslim youths - or any youth for that matter - can become radicalised (and how they can realised, too late, that they've been misled). It also shows the impact of having a "Jihadi" in the family; there is a real sense of damned if you do and damned if you don't. Do you support them? Or do you abandon them to their choice in a bid to protect the rest of the family?

The only thing I didn't like about is the central love story. I found the character of Eammon a little annoying. His actions are naive to say the least and comes across a teenager even though he's meant to be about 24.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment