Pages

Wednesday 7 September 2016

Stuff I am going to possibly read in September

In BookTube parlance,  your "TBR" or "To be read" list denotes books that you're planning read (thank God you've got me to explain this stuff to you hey). Personally, I find this type of thing intimidating because basically I am incredibly stubborn and don't like being told what do (even if it's me telling me what to do). So, I prefer to have "possible read" books - i.e. books that I might read but don't have to read (I do grant you that this probably makes very little sense to anyone other than myself). Anyroad (usually write "anyway", but wanted to mix things up a bit), these are the things that I am "possibly reading" this month.


Have started to read it but keep finding excuses to read something else. This is probably why you shouldn't buy a book purely so that can make some rubbish "when in Rome" gag about reading a book about Rome when you're visiting the place for work. It does seem interesting but in my heart of hearts, The Rotten Romans by Terry Deary is probably more my level.

A Little Book of Unknowing by Jennifer Kavanagh 

I bought this book after attending Jennifer's workshop "Walking into the dark with a smile", which was basically about coping with uncertainty - particularly when the future looks less than rosy. I  am going to save it for when my anxiety next plays up (so end of the week probably) as I am hoping it will help. Should point out that Jennifer is a member of the same Quaker meeting house as me, so my purchasing of the book was slightly biased but I'd like think I still would have got it even I didn't know her.

Weight: The Myth of Atlas and Heracles by Jeanette Winterson

As I mentioned in my previous post, I really liked her take on The Winter's Tale (The Gap of Time). Therefore, I wanted to give this one a shot. Like the book above, I will probably leave it a while before reading because I don't like reading books by the same author in quick succession - too much of a good thing etc.

Dead Beat by Val McDermid

Downloaded this because it was only £3 and I was looking for a reliable, easy read. McDermid may never win the Man Booker but she certainly knows how to spin a good yarn. Plus as this book was written in 1992, it's going to be interesting to see how her private detective Kate Brannigan tracks people without the aid of the internet or a smartphone. So far Kate, as the narrator, has made several references to "working on the computer" and "databases" - which seems very old fashioned. Keep having to remind myself that she can't just Google it!


No comments:

Post a Comment